Thursday, February 14, 2013

Cleaning house



Today I'm in the process of cleaning house. It is easy to see the physical dirt in my home...dust on tabletops, grass on the carpet, crumbs on the kitchen floor. It is pretty easy to clean all of this dirt too using my swiffer duster and my new vacuum hubby bought me for Christmas.

What about the dirt in my home that I don't see, or don't want to see. This would be the dirt in my heart. Oh, I know it's there, but I would rather look away and say, "I'll just clean it up another day". But the Holy Spirit convicts us of our 'dirt', not so we avoid it and look away in disgust, but so we face it and call out to Jesus to clean us from the inside out. We have the Law to convict us of our sins and the beautiful Gospel to cleanse us when we confess and repent.

Jesus' kind of 'heart cleaning' is something we should want to do daily with it being at the top of our 'to do' list. Let's not relegate it to the weekly cleaning list as if it were no more valuable or important than running the vacuum.

Psalm 51:10 Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me.

6 comments:

  1. Good post! It can be so easy some days to try to tune out the Holy Spirit.

    Also, I love that you got the dog to hold the Swiffer !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I guess it is our sinful nature wanting us to close our minds to the Holy Spirit.

      Haha, thank you for the dog comment. The photo was taken by my daughter!

      Blessings, Beth

      Delete
  2. Your dog looks like our Ben, a little! I agree with the heart cleaning and am feeling this pull on my life currently too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ben is a sweet dog!

      Feeling the pull is the first step. If we feel nothing of the Holy Spirit's leading then we should probably really start to worry!

      Blessings, Beth

      Delete